Clarksburg Public Schools




Towers School

BOARD OF EDUCATION

W. R. Alender, president; time expires June 30, 1898.
O. P. Baughner; time expires June 30, 1897.
Lee Haymond; time expires June 30, 1899.
J. R. Adams, elect; times expires June 30, 1900

W. W. Harmer, Sec'y.

      Mr. W. R. Alexander has been a most efficent member of the Board of Education for more than 20 years, with only one intermission of one year.


Teachers--Central Building

Mrs. J. H. Drummond, 1st Primary
Miss. Bonnie Smith, 2nd Primary
Miss. Mattie Davis, 3rd Primary
Miss. Lizzie Hornor, 4th Primary
Miss. Icie McCann, 5th Primary
Miss. Isola Shinn, 1st Grammar
Miss. Anna Dunn, 2nd Grammar
Miss. Blanche Hornor, 3rd Grammar
Prof. Henry C. Robinson, Asst. High School
Prof. Orie McConkey, High School



Miss. Dora Ridenour, West End School
Colored Schools

Miss. Mattie Jones, Primary
Mr. F. L. Jefferson, Intermediate
Prof. S. H. Guss, Gram. and High School


JOHN G. GITTINGS. Supt

Enrollment

There are enrolled in the Primary Dept. 317 Pupils
Grammar, Primary Dept. ......132 Pupils
High School Proper............... 82 Pupils
Total, ....................................481 Pupils



Enrollment--Colored Schools
Primary Department, ..........37
Intermediate,.......................53
Grammar,........................... 57
Total,................................147


      The total number enrolled in all the schools is 628,--which includes 326 girls, and 302 boys.


      REMARKS.--It is impracticable to give here, in detail, the course of study for each grade: and only the branches taught in the Ninth Grade and High School are recorded. All the grades from the first to the eighth ineclusive, are graded after the manner of advance modern schools, and we venture the opinion that their proges will compare favorable, with the best city schools. In these grades the regular school work is supplemented by drawing, object lessons, nature study, literature, &c.



Ninth Grade

Higher Arithmetc,...............................Physical Geography
Algebra,.............................................Book keeping
English................................................Penmanship

Latin
High School--First Year

Higher Aritmetic..................................Algebra
English................................................Civil Gov't
Mental Arith., advanced.......................Latin


High School--Second Year

Latin....................................................Geometry
Genl. History........................................English (Rhet.)
Physical Geography..............................English Literature


      There are six girls, and one boy, in the graduating class of the present year.
      The Grammar Dept., of the Colored Schools, carries some the studies of the High School, and when practicable, all of them. While there was a class of five graduated last year, there will be none for the present year from the Colored Schools.


Historical

      The Public Schools were opened in Clarksburg in the year 1866, soon after the establishment of free schools in the State. The independent District was established February 26, 1867, page 101, Acts of 1867; page 45 of Acts of 1868. Board has power under special statute to establish a Graded School, or Schools, where in addition to the branches taught in the common school they may teach Algebra, Geometry, Nathural Philosphy, Cemistry, and such other branches as the Board may determine. The present Central School Building is one of the best, modern school edifices; it was completed in the year 1895, and cost about $20,000. This bulding occupies the ground that has been dedicated to school purposes for more than a century. The first building on this lot was the "Randolph Academy" which was incorporated by the Virginia Legislature in the year 1749. The trustees appointed to take charge of the same comprised several of the most illustrious names in the State, such as: Madison, George Mason, Philip Doddridge, &c. For the support of this institution one sixth of the surveyors bees collected in the counties comprising North-West Virginia were appropriated.

      These fees prior to the time had been donated to the support of William and Mary College. In the year 1789 the Legislature authorized the trustees to raise a som of money by lottery for the use of the college, not to exceed one thousand pounds.

      Reverend George Towers was the first and perphaps the only Professor of Randolph Academy. He was graduate of Oxford, England, and begin to teach here, Latin Hebrew, GReek and the sciences in the year 1795. He continued in charge for twenty years.

      The brick building which was torn down in the year 1895, to give place to the present school edifice, was known as the "North Western Academy." This Academy was incorporated by the Legislature in the year 1842; at the same time twenty trustees were appointed comprising some of the most promenent citizens of the county.

      School was opened in the North Western Academy on the 1st of October, 1843, with the Rev. Gordon Battelle as the Professor in charge. Some of the most prominent men in this section of the courtry received their education wholly or in part at the North Western Academy. We enumerate a few of them as follows: Gov. Lloyd Lowndes of Maryland; Ex-Senator Johnson N. Camden; Judge Nathan Goff; Judge Thomas Harrison; Hon. Benj. Wilson; Hon. John J. Davis; Judge Edwin Maxwell, and many ministers, lawyers, physicians, farmers and men of affairs who we cannot name.

      The grounds occupied by the new Central School Building and which for nore than a century have been devotyed to educational uses, contain one and a half acres, centrally located and planted with shade and ornamental trees.

      The building is of brick, two stories and contains a large chapel hall, ten capacious school rooms, and an office; all well lighted. It is ventilated and heated by flues and hotair furnaces which latter are situated in the basement, where there are washroom and large play-rooms for the children in storm weather.


The principals of the Public Schools of Clarksburg have been:

John Connor, with four assistants................................1866-67
Julius Anderson, with four assistants............................1867
Dr. Wm. Meigs, with six assistants..............................18168-73
Dr. D. C. Louchery, with six assistants........................1873-78
C. W. Lynch, six to eight assistants.............................1878-82
John G. Gittings, 8 to 11 assistants.............................1882-92
L. J. Corbly, 8 to 11 assistants...................................1892-95
John G. Gittings, 1895, the present incumbent.

      The Board of Education has recently purchased a valuable lot at the "West End" of the town, and will erect this summer thereon a modern two-story brick school-house, containing four rooms, with the necessary cloak rooms, etc.

      The increasing demand for school accommodations will also necessitate the purchase of a lot at the "East End" of the town and the erection of a similar building thereon.

      Speaking in general terms, our present force of theachers have had much experience in their work. They avince commendable spirit for self improvemtnt, and in keeping up with the advancements of the age. Only such teachers can be effective, and their own work is always their highest commendation.

Respecfully submitted.
JOHN G. GITTINGS, Supt.