Ethel (Hammond) Nielsen
You will notice the name ASH appears first in this family heading. You might also ask why 3 family names instead of the usual one? Because, it took five generations for the DAVIS and HAMMOND ancestors to discover they were both connected to the same ASH family! Adam ASH had five sons but only two of those sons, Christopher and Peter after they married, chose to settle in different counties in West Virginia. One son, Christopher, settled in Doddridge County where the DAVIS family lived, and the other son, Peter, stayed in Harrison County and lived near to where the HAMMOND family had settled on Lambertís Run.
My interest in Genealogy was triggered by seeing both of my grandparents, John Bee DAVIS and David Willie HAMMOND, attending a SWIGER Reunion. The large photograph was taken in the year 1915 at the Hepzibah Church, South of Clarksburg. Why, I asked myself, were both grandparents involved in this SWIGER reunion? The answer is in the history that follows.
Adam ASH, was born in Germany (1744-1819) and married Catherine YOST in Germany in 1749. They came on the Brig Morton Star ship from Amsterdam, Holland in 1772 as Johann Adam ESCH. Two brothers, John and Henry and their families arrived on the same ship. The passage took about six weeks. They encountered many storms which kept driving the ship back toward Holland. The three brothers settled first in Chester County, near Philadelphia, Penn.
The Thomas Hockley's Second Battalion, Chester County Associators from August 5 to September 10, 1776 and was paid 3.10 pounds." He was also "enrolled in 1781 as a Private in the Sixth Class, Captain George Enslo's Sixth Company, First Battalion, Bedford County Militia." His service was accepted by the D.A.R. #0737578.
After his service in the revolution, Adam ASH arrived in Harrison County in the early 1790ís. He was the first settler on Gregory's Run, near Clarksburg. Land in the early 1800ís sold for about $1.25 and acre. In Doddridge County, land was being sold for .50 to .75 cents an acre. He owned over 1,000 acres and chose land located away from the 10 Mile Creek, which was the main Indian trail. At this distance, he probably felt he was less likely to be detected and destroyed
Adam and wife Catherine raised ten children. Son Jacob went to Indiana; John to Tyler County, Christopher (c1770-bef 1828) to Doddridge County, and the other children, Elizabeth, Catherine, Mary, Eve, Margaret, Coonrad and Peter (1792-1885) married and raised their families in Harrison County. The parents and many of their children are buried in the Old ASH Cemetery on Gregory Run.
Adam ASHíS first son Christopher, (1770-1828) sometimes called Christian, was born on the voyage from Amsterdam to Philadelphia. Christopher married Libby SWIGER (1770-1856). It was said Christopher never was able to talk but broken English and, as his wife was German, they both spoke that language instead of English. They lived and died in Doddridge County.
Christopher and Libby had a daughter Catherine (1793-1857). Catherine is buried in the Old ASH cemetery on Gregory Run. An article found in the Exponent-Telegram by Wilbur C Morrison, 1933, said she died age 63 of dropsy. Catherine is the connection from Adam ASH to the DAVIS line. Catherine married William Lloyd DAVIS in 1813.
CATHERINE ASH--DAVIS CONNECTION
Catherine ASH (1793-1857) and William Lloyd DAVIS (1796-1869) were married Feb. 18, 1813 by Rev. Thomas MAXON . William Lloyd DAVIS was the son of William Joseph DAVIS, Jr. (c1770-1818) who had married Hannah LAMBERT ( 1770ó1840) in 1790. William Joseph, Jr. arrived in Clarksburg with his father, William DAVIS, Sr. and mother Jean, sometime before 1777. Some of William Joseph, Jrís known seven brothers and sisters were also probably born in another state (unknown) and came with the family into Clarksburg. William, Sr. was not a part of the Salem group because he was in Clarksburg before the Shrewsbury group arrived in Salem in 1789. William, Sr. was also a delegate from the Simpson Church to the Redstone Annual Meeting in 1777 and again in 1788. Both William, Jr. and William, Sr. voted in the 1789 election for George Washington.
William Lloydís grandfather, William DAVIS, Sr. was given a Certificate, signed 20th December 1784 (the year Monongalia County was formed) by Patrick Henry, Governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia, for 334 acres as Assignee of Job STOUT, on the West Fork of the Monongalia River including his settlement made thereon in the year 1776. Another warrant #17299 was issued September 25, 1787 for an additional 100 acres on the left bank of Job Stouts Run, a drain of the West Fork adjoining other lands of said DAVIS. Deed Book #2, page 305, shows this 334 ac was transferred to his first born son William Joseph, Jr. on February 15, 1796. The known children of William DAVIS, Sr. and wife Jean ,(in addition to Wm Joseph, Jr.) were: Ann KELLY, Margaret HUSTEAD, Sarah ASA, Mary MAXON, Rebecca RECTOR.
After the death of Catherine ASH in 1857, William Lloyd DAVIS married Hannah HUGHES. Wm had 3 land grants on Lamberts Run, 34 ac. in 1826; 100 ac in 1832, and 17 ac. in 1845. (Ref. Sims Index). Land was sold from his fatherís estate (William Joseph, Jr.) in 1836 and records are not clear whether or not some of this land was from the original homestead. Catherine and William were members of the Hepzibah Church and this church is located near lower Lambertís Run.
The children of Catherine and William Lloyd were: Lavina LYONS, Isaac, Sarah GARRETT, Christian (1823-1895), Catherine POWELL, William E., and John Anderson.
CHRISTIAN ANDERSON DAVIS
Christian Anderson DAVIS (1823-1895), son of Catherine and William Lloyd, and Sarah Jane GRIFFIN (1832-1893) were married Sept. 9, 1847 by Rev. A.C. Holden. Christian DAVIS inherited 127.75 acres from his father on Lambertís Run which was next to the Reynoldís farm.
For some reason, Christian and Sarah Jane moved from Lambertís Run to Center Point, Doddridge County. It must have been early in their marriage because most of their children were born in Doddridge County. They had six sons and 7 daughters. Their son John Bee (1867-1950) represents the next generation that connects to the HAMMONDíS. John Beeís brothers and sisters were: Martha Swiger, Mary Swiger, Sara Jane Hutson, Charlotte Huston-Cottrill, Louise Swiger, Christian T. , Albert Tom, George, Benjamin, and James.
JOHN BEE DAVIS
By 1915 the DAVIS family had relocated from Doddridge County back to a farm on lower Lambertís Run. The HAMMOND family lived on the upper part of Lambertís Run. Zona Blanche DAVIS was born February 22, 1900-1980, in Doddridge County, daughter of John Bee and Florence Virginia DYE. In 1915, Blanche eloped to Oakland, Maryland with Joseph Clarence HAMMOND (1895-1952). They were married in Oakland, July 25, 1915.
JOSEPH CLARENCE HAMMOND
Joseph Clarence (1895-1952) was the son of David Willie HAMMOND and Laura E. MORRISON. He was born on the Lambertís Run farm and attended a local one-room school. When he married, his father, David Willie bought him a house in the newly developed area, near Clarksburg, called East View. The deed says the cost of the house was $500. Before the depression, he worked at a local Chemical Plant and was transferred to Rochester, New York, and later to Baltimore, Maryland. In 1932, the family returned to their home in East View where his 3 children, Gertrude Bonnie ARMENTROUT, Elene Ethel NIELSEN, and Laura Irene FLESHER attended the local East View, Broadway, and Roosevelt-Wilson schools.
When his father, David Willie died, Joseph Clarence inherited the farm house on Lambertís Run plus 40 acres of the original 224 acres that had been settled by his grandfather, Joseph HAMMOND.
DAVID WILLIE HAMMOND
David Willie HAMMOND (1863-1937) and Laura E. MORRISON (1869-1938) were married May 31, 1888. They lived their entire life on their Lambertís Run farm. Their farm consisted of 80 acres ( part of the 224 ac) and was next door to the homestead of his mother and father ,Joseph and Susanna Ash. The children of David Willie and Laura Morrison were: David Newton, Phoebe Ethel (died young), Joseph Clarence (1895-1952), Edward Russell, and Mettie Ash.
David Willie was the youngest son of Joseph HAMMOND (1822-1911) and Nancy FITTRO. David Willieís brothers and sisters were: John, Amanda Catherine PAYNE, Margaret, Rev. Joseph A., Peter, Andrew Jackson, and Sarah Etta ELLIOTT. All of the sons stayed in the area of Gregory Run or Lambertís Run with the exception of Peter (b 1853), who was married in Colorado and died in Phoenix, Ariz. before 1930.
JOSEPH HAMMOND The Link to Adam ASH
Joseph HAMMOND (1822-1904) was born in OíNeil (near Wilsonburg). His mother was Nancy FITTRO (1802-1823) and she had married ROBERT HAMMONDó(unknown) January 1, 1821. Joseph was a year old when his mother Nancy died. He was raised by his grandfather Joseph FITTRO. As a young man, he worked in the WILSON store in Wilsonburg. He never knew his father but he thought his father lived in Doddridge County. Children of his father, Robert, by his second wife, were finally located, but no information about their father Robert has ever surfaced.
In 1860, Joseph signed a note agreeing to pay Josiah D. WILSON $2,000 with interest for 224 acres which was part of a warrant of 2,000 acres (#16011 dated May 8, 1783) on the waters of Gregory and Lamberts Run. The original survey was done by Wm HAYMOND in 1785 and is in the possession of Ethel Hammond NIELSEN, Irvine, California. During the early 1800ís land in Harrison County was selling for about $1.25 an acre.
In 1999, the original log house built (and enlarged) by Joseph was still standing on Lambertís Run. The homestead as well as about 130 acres of the original 224 acres are now owned by James SCARFF. The HAMMOND family sold all their rights to the property to James SCARFF in 1997.
In 1898 Joseph sold his oil and gas rights to Wm Michaels of South Penn Oil Co for a royalty of $300 per year from each producing well. The lease covered 223 acres on Lamberts Run and 122 acres on Gregory Run. In 1999, the well on the homestead farm was still producing. These wells provided free gas to the homestead as well as to the David Willie HAMMONDíS 80 acre farm.
Benjamin Wilson, as attorney for Monongahela Gas and Coal Co sent Joseph a note, dated June 21, 1887, saying if he sold the coal rights he was to receive $15 per acre instead of $12. Joseph sold his rights to 137 acres of coal to Benjamin WILSON for $2500; in 1890 he sold another 123 acres for $1,080; Mr WILSON later transferred all these rights to Monongahela Gas and Coal which later became Hope Natural Gas Co., which became Consolidated Natural Gas Company, and, then in 2005 the company became known as Dominion.
When Joseph died in 1904 he was called one of the County's thrifty, honest, upright, honorable and well-to-do citizens. The papers left by Joseph included many receipts. From these receipts, we get a glimpse into the cost of daily life during the 1800ís. He paid, $67 for a sewing machine in 1874; he received $1.70 for one day's appearance as a court witness; he paid $1.40 for one year's subscription to the weekly Wheeling Register; he also paid $1 for one year to the Clarksburg Telegram in 1884, $113 for roofing, $19 for a cookstove, $10 for ten sacks of grain, and a $20 premium for dwelling and household furnishings. This premium as paid to the Peabody Insurance Co., founded in 1869. He received $50 in 1888 for the rent of a farm for one year and in 1894, J.D.Hornor Hardware sold him a plow for $9.
Joseph HAMMOND (1822-1904) had married Susanna ASH (1822-1911) in 1844. Susanna ASH (1822-1911) was the daughter of Peter ASH 1792-1895) and Catherine WIGNER (1789-1875). Peter ASH was the son of Adam ASH and Catherine YOST the first settlers on Gregory Run. A ridge separates Gregory Run from Lambertís Run. When Joseph HAMMOND and Susanna ASH married, the ASH DAVIS HAMMOND cycle was complete. The two grandparents shown in the Swiger Reunion photograph of 1915 were attending this reunion because they were related!
Joseph and Susanna ASH HAMMOND lived their entire life on Lambertís Run. They raised 8 children, named above under the heading of their youngest son David Willie.
In case anyone wonders why the Harrison County Scholarship was named ASH-DAVIS-HAMMOND you now have its history.
EXTENDED FAMILY RELATIONSHIPS
Within the history of these three pioneer families, it is interesting to note there were at least eight ministers, fifteen served in the Revolution with 2 of them under WASHINGTON at Valley Forge. Other family relationships and history include: Simon Bradstreet, Governor of Mass. 1679-86 and 1688-92, his wife Ann Dudley, first Poetess of America; Wilbur C. Morrison who recorded and published history of many pioneers in the Clarksburg-Telegram in the 1930ís, as well as the establishment of Gerrardstown, which is located South of Martinsburg and is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. One member of this extended family is also related to the Rev. John Corbly. Many books have been written about the Indian massacre of the Corbly family on May 10, 1872 in Greene County, Pennsylvania.
The above list is just a few of the contributions made by the ASH-DAVIS-HAMMOND families to our American way of life.