Five miles from Belington on the new Morgantown-Beverly turnpike is a truly deserted village. Two brick mansions, a stone house, two farm house, two stores, a church a parsonage and a number of more or less tumbled down buildings are all that are left of Meadowville. A village that at one time was central trading center of Randolph, Tucker and Barbour Counties and rich with historical sites and landmarks.
Here are the remains of an Indian Fort, nearby are countless Indian graves. Number of Revolutionary soldiers and their families are buried in the vicinity in undiscovered graves. Here is the site of Elliott’s store, the original building still standing, where the early settlers bought their supplies and paid for them with deer skins, sang [ginseng], and other valuable garnered from the close lying mountains. Here is the birthplace of men who have been active in state and national affairs. A mile away stands the church built on the site of certainly the first Baptist church [Little Bethel Primitive Baptist] and probably the first church of any denomination in Randolph County. Here is the chimney of the log cabin of Rev Simeon Harris, the Revolutionary soldier who turned his activates to Indian fighting and the organization of churches and who probably married more couples than any other man in the history of the state. Here is the White House where belles and beaux of a hundred years ago danced the measures of old time tunes. Here is the “Julie Elliott” House built by the Elliots when the 18th century was young. Two miles away is Johnson’s Mill with the original millrace of Hollowed logs.
The present village presents a poor invitation to the eye but to one knowing something of the history and folk lore of this country it holds a fascinating charm, for the background of this village and its associated families we must go back to the days before the Revolution when we find a number of these same families residing in the vicinity of Hopewell, NJ and in Somerset County of the same state. Most of them had Dutch ancestors who had come to this country during the 1600’s settling first in New Amsterdam, NY and then making their homes in New Jersey. Shorty before the outbreak of the Revolution a few families migrated to Western Maryland coming by the way of Cecil County. A general exodus followed as friends heard from friends and by 1790 we find the Meadowville section populated by New Jerseyites. Almost to a man these pioneers had served their country in some capacity during the war with England.